By a relative timeline, Zen McCollum is only at the start of his powerlifting career. However, with the way the 22-year-old has pushed full steam ahead to this point, it might be hard not to view the 120-kilogram-plus athlete as an accomplished veteran.
On Oct. 19, 2022, McCollum shared a video to his Instagram profile where he notched a 390-kilogram (860-pound) single-ply squat double during a training session. Per the caption of his post, the feat is a personal record (PR). In addition to wrist and knee wraps, McCollum wore a lifting suit and lifting belt to help with the figure.
[Related: How to Do the Hack Squat — Benefits, Variations, and More]
McCollum’s squat double PR is connected to his ongoing preparation for the 2022 International Powerlifting Federation (IPF) World Equipped Open Powerlifting Championships. That contest will take place on Nov. 14-20, 2022, in Viborg, Denmark. It will be just the second appearance for McCollum in an international competition after a second-place Juniors finish during the 2022 IPF World Junior Equipped Powerlifting Championships.
As the reigning equipped Powerlifting America (AMP) National Champion in the 120-kilogram-plus weight class, McCollum has amassed quite the individual resume at a young age. After starting his career largely as a raw competitor, McCollum appears to have transitioned to a single-ply, equipped focus. That shift in attention has seemingly paid off as the athlete can count six out of seven victories where he competed single-ply.
According to Open Powerlifting, here’s an overview of some of the more notable results of McCollum’s career to date:
Zen McCollum (+120KG) | Notable Career Results
- 2017 USA Powerlifting (USAPL) Rocky Mountain State Games (Teen/Raw) — First place | First career victory
- 2017 USAPL Raw National Championships (Teen/Raw) — Second place
- 2018 USAPL Gorilla Warfare II Pandora’s Box (Teen/Raw) — First place
- 2018 USAPL Raw Nationals (Teen/Raw) — Second place
- 2019 USAPL Colorado State Championships (Teen/Raw) — First place
- 2019 USAPL Southwest Regionals (Open/Single-ply) — First place
- 2021 USAPL Revenge of the Kilo Monster (Open/Raw) — First place
- 2022 AMP Nationals (Junior/Open/Raw/Single-ply) — First place
- 2022 IPF World Junior Equipped Powerlifting Championships (Juniors-Single-ply) — Second place
[Related: 4 Workouts with a Single Dumbbell for Muscle, Fat Loss, and More]
Here’s an overview of McCollum’s all-time single-ply competition bests:
Zen McCollum | Single-Ply All-Time Competition Bests
- Squat — 385 kilograms (848.7 pounds)
- Bench Press — 275 kilograms (606.2 pounds)
- Deadlift — 317.5 kilograms (699.9 pounds)
- Total — 962.5 kilograms (2121.9 pounds)
[Related: How to Do the Weighted Pull-Up — Benefits, Variations, and More]
McCollum will likely have to bring his A-game to capture his first-ever international victory in Denmark. That probably won’t be an issue for an athlete who has started his competitive career on a rocket-like ascent.
Featured image: @zen.the.piston on Instagram